When Katie was at the SHC2 con last month she did some interviews there and one of them has come out at last. This one is with Melty and in it she talk’s about her death on Arrow and what it felt like to find out it was her, and on the possibility of see her again on one of the DC shows.
Arrow’s Katie Cassidy talks about creating backstory for Earth-2 Laurel Lance a.k.a. Black Siren, meeting DC Comics’ Gail Simone, and more at Heroes & Villains Fan Fest, New Jersey.
The Next Level got to interview Katie at Heroes & Villains Fan Fest, She talked about Arrow, getting killed off and if she is coming back.
Our own Ben Beck had an opportunity to spend a few minutes with Arrow’s Katie Cassidy aka Laurel Lance. Katie was a joy to talk to and we thank here for the time she gave us out of her busy convention schedule.
When it comes to playing a superhero on television there really is no better job. For Katie Cassidy, it was literally a dream come true to get to portray the iconic Black Canary on Arrow for four seasons.
While Laurel Lance met a tragic end last season on Arrow, her death was met with fan outrage and sadness at her character’s surprising end. But Laurel’s presence will forever live on in the hearts of the audience, the show, and in the actress herself.
“It was like a dream come true,” Cassidy told us of playing Black Canary. “It was such an honor to be asked to do that. The fact that the fans responded so well was such a big payoff. This part of my life is certainly something I’ll never forget. Black Canary will live on within me forever, and I’m grateful for every moment of it.”
But the beauty about the Arrowverse is that no one is really dead – unless sadly you’re Tommy Merlyn. With the universe expanding as it has with The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl, there are different elements at play that make it possible for characters that we’ve lost to return. Arrow has flashbacks, The Flash introduced dopplegangers, and Legends of Tomorrow has the ability to travel to different time periods. Basically the possibilities are endless. As well are the possibilities of Cassidy’s return.
Cassidy was invited to The Flash last season to portray Laurel Lance’s Earth-2 doppleganger Black Siren in the show’s penultimate episode. The hour allowed Cassidy to explore her character is an entirely new way as she went from Black Canary the hero to Black Siren the villain. But who doesn’t love to play the villain?
“Playing the villain was so fun,” she said. “Obviously it’s a different show. The Flash is lighter. It was flattering to be asked to portray Laurel on Earth-2, Black Siren.”
With Black Siren being introduced on The Flash, it allowed Laurel’s doppleganger to have a supersonic scream – a real Canary Cry – given that on that Earth she is a metahuman. We got to see an entirely different side to the character as she partnered with the villainous Zoom.
But given the last we saw of Black Siren on The Flash she was locked away in the pipeline, there’s definitely a very real possibility we’ll see her character in the future.
“Hopefully we’ll get to see more of her,” Cassidy said.
In the Arrowverse, anything is possible.
Click here to Read More!
Katie had taken a couple of weekend’s of from covention’s in the last few weeks but is now back at it, This time for Heroes & Villains Fan Fest in New York. Today Katie had the Arrow panel with fellow (past) cast mates Neal McDonough, Charlotte Ross, Echo Kellum and her TV dad Paul Blackthorne, next up for Katie was fan autographs but no word on if she did a photo OP today or not. Below you can read some details from the Arrow panel that have been post by people who were there.
– Katie was asked who would win between Black Canary vs. Ruby? her answer was “Black Canary, come on now!”
– Katie on fave Laurel trait “She’s not afraid to stand up to Oliver or Green Arrow, or anyone for that matter.”
– Katie misses the show and found out before the January Heroes & Villains Fan Fest. It was very hard
– Katie on life after Laurel “It’s been really hard to let go and know that I’m not going to spend the day with these people”
– Paul was asked if Detective Lance would bring back Laurel if he had the chance “Yes, of course, of course! Life without Laurel is unimaginable for him. Of course he’d bring her back if he could”
– Paul says working with Katie has been the best acting experience. then *hugs Katie*
– Paul on Laurel being the Black Canary “His daughters are out there fighting, dressed VERY inappropriately,” teases”
– Katie has been Shocked and flattered by the Arrow fandom’s reaction. And said they are the Most supportive and best fans!
– Katie on leaving and maybe coming back in the future “Things happen for a reason and you make the best of it. Anything is possible thanks to timelines, flashbacks etc”
– Katie said Laurel’s death scene was her saying goodbye to her Arrow family.
– Neal on him being the one to kill Laurel “The hardest thing I’ve had to do as an actor is when I found out I had to kill Laurel”
– Katie said the Arrow Stunt team are fantastic and the Journey of Laurel turning into a hero required a big physical transformation and lot’s of work with them to pull it of realistically.
– Katie Worked with several trainers to get into shape for becoming the Black Canary
– Katie was asked what favorite stunt she did yourself was? “Training with Wildcat”
– Katie on Paul “Paul has been an inspiration and someone I could look up to”
– Katie on her time as Laurel “From end of S1 to end of S4 the whole thing was a journey and transition emotionally and physically” & “Learned more about her craft and learned from amazing actors”
– The Audience cheers when asked if people want Canary and Dark back.
– Katie said she has a great relationship with the costume department. And got to Contributed to the Black Canary design
– Public Events > 2016 > Conventions > Heroes & Villains Fan Fest New York July > Autographs & Misc – Day 1
– Public Events > 2016 > Conventions > Heroes & Villains Fan Fest New York July > Arrow Panel – Day 1
Here’s a not-so-secret secret: Katie hates summer clothes. While all the rest of us are wafting around in caftans and breezy dresses, she’s buying blazers andsweatshirts like it’s the fourth of January, not July.
Every summer, without fail, we’ll do a little shopping and you’ll hear over the racks “Why is everything so frilly and bright?” At which point I am prompted to remind her that, “Katie, it’s summer. You hate summer fashion. That’s why.” “Oh. Right.”
Now don’t get me wrong, we both love summer – bring on the popsicles and the pool parties – and don’t want the good weather and good times to end. But let’s just say we aren’t the least bit disappointed that Pre-Fall collections have started to pop up here and there. We’ll be counting down the days until sweaters reign supreme, plaid is the print of choice and layering is our second language, all with mai tais in hand. (Cheers!)
And until then, if you see a girl running around town in a parka in the blistering heat, you know who it is.
– Studio Photoshoots > Tomboy KC > 2016 > 008
Stephen love’s to do his live Facebook fan videos, And one fan asked him about Black Canary and if she was coming back at all, And this is what he said on the matter.
When asked if Black Canary would be returning to the show, Amell demurred, saying, “The idea of Black Canary and what it means and what it embodies in Star City is something we’re gonna explore this year.”
So take that as it is, we may not have seen the last of the Black Canary in Arrow but I think we have seen the last of Laurel as her.
although the Black Canary may be gone on Arrow (Still not over it), it seems her legacy on the show will carry on and this will include a new permanent fixture in Star City, A tease on twitter from Arrow showrunner Marc Guggenheim show’s a new Black Canary memorial statue will be erected in Season 5 by Oliver Queen. The one that was post on Twitter said “Option 5” so it may not be the final design we see on the show.
So Katie was going to be at the ArcCon this weekend in Brussels but had to pull out at the last minute for work reasons, And in there post about it the people at ArcCon were told that Katie was going to in a new movie and that’s why she could not make it, There is no news on whether this is true or not, But here is hoping it is.
We are very sorry to inform you that we just received answers from Katie’s agent and they confirmed Katie has work commitments in USA (a new movie!) and she is not available to come to Brussels.